Monday 15 August 2011

How to check your water in a Ford Fiesta

So for those of you that know how... look away... for those that think they know but are having a mental slip like I did today (baby brain) here is how and where to fill your little Fiesta with water.

1) LET THE ENGINE COOL DOWN!

2) A - Open bonnet, in my model there is a red handle/ lever on the steering column (the bit below the steering wheel) - pull it.
B - Go to the bonnet, it should have popped up a bit, slide your fingers in the gap at the front (in line with badge) bend down to look if you can't feel it. There will be a catch, mine is yellow, push it to the side. This will release the catch and you should be able to lift the lid.
C - hold it up with the metal arm. This is at the front of my engine (could be at the side) it's a long thin piece of metal that can be poked into a hole in the lid (the front or side of the lid).

3) Look at the water level - you will be looking at the 'expansion tank' that is water filler bit to those not in the know (me!) This reservoir will have a min and max line on the side of the tank to enable you to see if you have enough, too little, too much water. My expansion tank is at the top left hand corner as you look at the engine, see pic....


4) ONLY when you are sure the engine (and more importantly the water) has cooled down, you can open the cap to the expansion tank - water filler bit! I say this as it is possible that if your engine has overheated, the water will be scalding, and highly pressurised.. you do NOT want to get a geyser of scalding water over your face and hands (I am not exaggerating)


5) Make sure you have opened the correct cap - check all the other caps first to eliminate them - if you put water in these you could be up shit creek! Here are some symbols to show you what to avoid!


6) Once you are certain you have the correct area, you can pour in your water, remember to use the min/max lines on the side of the reservoir as you don't want to put too much in. The liquid in your tank may be clear or coloured, in the winter it is advisable to put anti freeze in. This is a liquid that stops the water freezing in the cold. Some countries have red or green anti freeze, I have only ever seen blue when purchasing from UK garages. (My water was cloudy orange... rust! Speaking to my garage about it!!!)

7) Replace the cap, tighten as much as you can.. and then some.

This should see you right. If you had to check the water level because your car was overheating it is probably advisable to get the garage or breakdown assistance to check your engine as there may be another reason why your engine got hot (faulty fan, water pump shot......etc) better to be safe than sorry! I got the AA to take me to my garage.

********DISCLAIMER************ I am not a mechanic, I simply know how to check and replenish my water and oil levels (which I'd advise you do every few months!) Do not rely on this information for problem diagnosis or fault repair, always seek advice from mechanic, or reliable Dad type personage!


No comments:

Post a Comment